Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Musical kid me na

I was never a musical kid, infact my folks tried really hard to  make me learn anything worthwhile. I was more of the jumping jack. So as an entertainment and as a showcase to the guests who would come home, I was asked to show them how well I climb up the rods of a swing , my sister called me "bandariya" for that but I always thought myself a gymnast. Coming back to music, so it was back in 1995 or so my parents as a religious thing thought of making me and my sister learn harmonium and tabla. As I was the hoarse one and devoid of any patience and again the clumsy one I was told " Tabla it is for you". Well my sister progressed on harmonium well ,I was still stuck with  those two black and white concentric circles, hitting them again and again till my finger hurt. Infact I spent more time with the hammer hitting on the outskirts of tabla praying that the skin of the table would tear one day and I would be done and over with it forever. But as it is with fate, everything takes time to happen. In the meantime the babaji who used to come to teach us realised it was useless effort on me as everyday I had some new excuse ranging from stomach upset to my finger bone getting tilted.So, finally table just became one of the instruments to keep me occupied so that I would learn to sit in patience for good 1 hr. The tabla post our stint in Ludhiana became a forgotten item, as it never bothered me again I too never bothered it and hence never prayed for it to tear down. One fine day as we were packing our stuff again my mom came across the table pair and the moment she opened the skin was gone, it was like an empty vessel and as I peeped into it looking at its condition I realised how many memories I had with it and how much I had wanted it to break then but now I miss it (this was just to sound little emotional).
Today after so many years I again held an instrument and this time I wanted to learn it for so long. It felt like I was transported back to 1995 when I was an excited kid always eager to try out new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment