Friday, November 22, 2013

“My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end. It is its own goal. It is its own purpose.”

A man approaching his retirement often questions himself/herself about " What Next", " How will the life be , will I be treated in the same way as I have been treated in the past". The person starts questioning the purpose of his existence and begins to interpret the reactions of people around in different fashion, it becomes difficult for the person to accept that after sometime , "I shall not be the bread winner for the family and the people around will start questioning the superiority of my position and the decisions I take".
Well I never thought I would be able to empathise with the something of this sort, but I somehow can understand and feel the same emotions because I went through this whole questioning myself about " what is the purpose of my existence". I crossed out lot of things from the list- earning loads of money, marriage, kids, an awesome career, achievement of nirvana ; no I am not saying I don't want any of the above , in fact I want to have everything mentioned above but none of them is the sole purpose of my existence. But then what is it and I think the answer is " Happiness", eternal happiness is the sole purpose of my existence. At different times I will get it from different things, and different people. I wish I am able to live a life in which " my existence" is not defined by others but by myself, I don't want to life for someone else but for myself because if I can't find happiness with in myself I won't be able to find it with anyone else, the boredom will eventually creep in and that will be the end of it.

“Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark in the hopeless swamps of the not-quite, the not-yet, and the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish in lonely frustration for the life you deserved and have never been able to reach. The world you desire can be won. It exists.. it is real.. it is possible.. it's yours.” 

“I regret nothing. There have been things I missed, but I ask no questions, because I have loved it, such as it has been, even the moments of emptiness, even the unanswered-and that I loved it, that is the 
unanswered in my life.”
“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.” 




—AYN RAND

No comments:

Post a Comment